Monday, February 2, 2009

02/02/09...Are we already starting the 7-year itch?

What were you doing 7 years ago today? If you knew me and Darrell at that time I hope you were attending our wedding festivities! It was (of course) a great day. People tell me that it was such a cold day but I don't even remember the coldness, my heart was warm and my head was in the clouds.

Happy Anniversary Darrell! I love you more than words can say.

7 1/2 years ago I made a website for the wedding. The website has long since been removed but I still have some of the content. Here is a clip of what I wrote:

Our Story

Heather's Version
I met him when I was in High School. He's two years older than me in school. I was a junior and he had already graduated. We had a mutual friend named Christian. Christian kept telling me about this "rad guitar player" named Darrell. So I had heard a lot about him. We finally met on February 22, 1997 at a small party that my friend Marie was having. Christian brought him along, he introduced him to all of my friends. We said "so this is the Darrell we've heard so much about!" Later we were all thinking "Christian didn't tell us he was cute!"

We got to be good friends. We would hang out all the time. We never dated or did anything of that sort since he was preparing for a mission, and I was having fun in High School. He left for his mission to Catania Italy on November 5, 1997. I went to go see him off at the MTC, and that was the first time he hugged me.

The next two years I wrote to him, the first year every once in a while, then for the second year, about every week. I wasn't "the girl he left behind" but if he had one, then I would be it. I still stayed in contact with his family, I'd hang out with some of his siblings, and friends.

He served his two years came home on November 18, 1999. I saw him the day after he came home, and the minute he saw me he ran up and hugged me. I only stayed at his house for 1/2 an hour, since I already had plans for the evening. The next day was the U of U vs. BYU football game. I went down to Provo with the Crimson Line, to watch, and perform at the game. The game was so awesome, that I lost my voice. I was cheering so loud for the U of U, and WE WON!!! The whole bus ride home, my friends were asking me how it went with my "missionary." I talked my voice to death, and the next day I had no voice. The next day happened to be Sunday, his Homecoming. I just smiled most of the day, since I couldn't talk. Everyone was at his house to welcome him home, but he told me later, the only person he wanted to be with was me.

Four days from he being home, the day after his Homecoming, he told me he loved me. I didn't know what to say, I guess I was scared. I was so confused about him and everything else. I had never told any boy that I loved him, so I wasn't going say that phrase lightly. He wanted to date right away, but I told him that he was still "weird" from being on his mission, so after he got settled into his own life, we could talk about ours.

We stayed friends for November and December. I was confused, and he thought I had rejected him. Finally on January 5, 2000, I invited him to go to lunch with me. We went to my house afterwards and had our "DTR" (Define the Relationship.) I was ready to date him now, to pursue a relationship. Our courtship was bliss. My mom told us that we should write a book about "How to Be Romantic." Darrell and I were always giving each other little notes and compliments.

On July 24, 2000, we had our first big talk about marriage. We both knew we wanted to marry each other, but just didn't know when. On October 17, 2000, we decided on February 2, 2002. We prayed about it, and knew it was the right date.

He gave me the ring and proposed officially on December 2, 2000, to find out how he proposed, go to The proposal [Pasted below]. We were engaged for 14 months. Everyone thought we were crazy for waiting so long, but we knew we could do it! Before we were engaged everyone kept asking us when we were going to get married, so instead of dating for two years, and making everyone wonder, we dated for a while, and were engaged for over a year so we could tell people our date!

Darrell is such a wonderful man. He is the most spiritual and romantic person I know. I'm so in love!

The proposal

It was Saturday December 2, 2000. Darrell and Heather had just gotten home to Heather's house from a Grizzlies game. Heather went downstairs to change the laundry while Darrell was still upstairs. She came up into the living room wrapped in a table cloth that she had just taken out of the dryer since she was cold.

Darrell had piece of paper in his hand. He wanted Heather to sit with him on the couch so he could read her a poem. Heather not thinking anything was going on since Darrell always does cute stuff like that.

Darrell told Heather to put her hand on his heart. She did so and it was pounding like crazy. He read Heather the wonderful poem and then got down on the floor and reached under the couch and pulled out a box. Darrell knelt down and opened up the box, inside was the ring and he said "Heather will you marry me?" Heather of course said "YES!"

7 comments:

Emmaree Josephson said...

aahhh!!!

The Gentry's said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Gentry's said...

7 years, 2 1/2 kids, 2 homes. And so many more good things behind you and ahead of you to come:)

Eli McQueen said...

I didn't realize he told you he loved 4 days of the mission!!! I'm sure we talked about it - but man 7 years ago... that's a long way to think back. And I forgot your engagement was so long! HA HA - How did you guys do it?

Rachel said...

I remember hanging out at your house a few times in High School and watching you two together. You guys were so cute. I remember how Darrell's eyes and his awesome smile would light up when you were around. All I can say is..you are a great couple and have very cute kids!! Way to go!

Catey said...

How cute! Happy Anniversary!

Draper's said...

That is an awesome story! I love all of your detail. Happy late anniversary.