I absolutely love the library! We go to both the city library and the county library. I have learned some cool things about what the library offers, I even learned one today!
Here are some highlights about the library:
* Audio Books - Not only can you get books but you can get so much more! I love to get audio books and Salem also gets audio books that he can read along with the book & CD.
* DVDs - The city library lets you check them out for 2 weeks, even new releases!
* VHS - The county library now treats these like books and lets you check them out for 3 weeks.
* Holds - You can put up to 25 items on hold. I reserve the new releases (DVDs, audiobooks, books) and get them within a reasonable amount of time. Last time the latest Harry Potter book came out I reserved both the book and audio book and I got them within a week of the release.
* Magazines - You can check out past issues of your favorite magazines.
* Downloads - You can download eBooks or audiobooks from their website.
* Community Info & Events - The particular county library that I usually go to always has flyers about community events and info. We've gone to some fun activities because of this.
* Free events - The library is always having events. For example, I took my sons to a "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" animated book reading. They had a fun time. Look for event info here for the city or or here for the county or you can sign up to receive event info via email.
* Story time - Not only is it story time but often times they do other activities too. We got free big pumpkins in October and decorated them. They sometimes have a bubble machine for the kids, and other arts & crafts.
* Free Visits to Cultural Places - Today I learned about the Salt Lake City Library's Community Exploration Card. I "checked out" the CEC using my library card and received a one-month voucher to go (for FREE up to 4 people) to Discovery Gateway, Utah Museum of Natural History, Red Butte Garden, and Utah Museum of Fine Arts. (To provide equitable access to everyone, cards are limited to one per household in a six-month period.) I'll go this month and then try again in June. Apparently this program has been around for 3+ years and I just found out about it! It's not advertised very heavily since each city library branch only gets about 4 vouchers per month. I found out about it on a pamphlet where a bunch of other pamphlets are. I inquired with the librarian and was lucky enough to get the last one today.
* Performing Arts - They also have a similar program called the Performing Arts Experience voucher. This will admit two people (for FREE) to events listed on the voucher for the month. It could include Ballet West, The Grand Theatre, Plan-B Theatre Company, Pygmalion Productions Theatre Company, Repertory Dance Theatre, Ririe-Woodbury Dance Company, Salt Lake Acting Company, and the Utah Symphony & Opera. I hope to try to get this in February for our anniversary, or in April for my birthday.
I know that I didn't cover everything that the library has to offer. These are things that I have been utilizing. Now it's your turn, what do you do at the library?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I did not know about the community exploration card and the performing arts experiences. That is awesome! I have honestly never been to the Salt Lake City library. We always go to the county library because it's easy for us. But, now I think I will have to go to the city one. Thanks for the tips!
Post a Comment