Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Drop Biscuits

Salem loves to make these biscuits. They're fast, easy, & healthy. We just made them for lunch and they're great with any meal.

I make them "drop biscuit" style so I don't have to have the time or mess when rolling out the dough. The recipe can easily be doubled.


Drop Biscuits
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup milk concoction*

1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Grease cookie sheet (optional)
2. In large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt & soda. Using a pastry blender (or two knives or forks) and cut in oil until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
3. Add milk concoction and stir with spoon just until moistened.
4. Drop batter by tablespoonfuls onto cookie sheet.
5. Bake for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve warm. Makes about 10 biscuits.

* I say milk concoction because you can use whatever. I usually put half plain yogurt, half milk, plus a little bit of vinegar. You could also use buttermilk, milk with lemon juice or vinegar, all milk, all plain yogurt, or even water!

Notes:
1. You could also just do step #2 and make a homemade biscuit mix. Store in the fridge and use within a month. When it comes time to make the biscuits just add a cup of the milk concoction and bake. Or use the baking mix to make waffles, pancakes, or other things.
2. If you don't like the "healthy taste," you could easily change the whole wheat flour to white flour, or the canola oil to other oils, margarine or shortening.
3. If you didn't want to use the drop biscuit style, reduce the amount of liquid (milk concoction) to about 3/4 cup. Roll dough 1/2 inch thick. Cut with a round cutter or the top of a drinking glass.

1 comment:

Christa said...

They sound really good. In fact, I was just craving some type of biscuit the other day. I was just going to make some dumb old Bisquick variety. I didn't have any around. I'll have to try these instead.