Friday, June 27, 2008

ACCESS Barbeque

On Wednesday night my family and I went to Sugarhouse Park for the annual ACCESS Program Barbeque. I am a former ACCESS student, and when I went to check-in, the girl saw "1998" and said "whoa!" So...I guess I'm old. I unfortunately didn't see anyone else there from my year, but I of course recognized the professors and university staff. It was great food, plus it was free! :)

The ACCESS Program is a scholarship designed for women pursuing the science & math majors and fields of study. I was one of the lucky 27 women chosen to be apart of that group for my year. We met during the summer after I graduated high school (yes, summer school right after I graduated!). Each week we were introduced to a different department within the college of science. We worked with some of the professors, and we'd write a team paper every week. It was hard work but yet fun getting to know girls that had the same "nerdiness" that I did. :) The fall semester we each did an internship/lab with one of the departments. I got a stipend each semester that helped cover a significant amount of tuition.

I'm grateful for the opportunity that I had to be in the ACCESS program. I made friends there that carried me through my college years.

No comments: