Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Happy Haircut?

Among my many talents, I also cut hair! (Please sense the sarcasm in that sentence.) When Darrell and I were engaged, he told me that he always dreamed/thought of his wife cutting his hair. I just laughed thinking that I'd never do that.

Well, he gave me enough courage (and the realization that we'd be saving money) that I started cutting his hair. Years ago I went to the salon and watched the lady cut his hair and then the next time around, I tried it. I've gotten better over the years and it looks pretty good, but I'm sure a good hair stylist would be able to spot the "home job" from a mile away. :)

I use scissors, clippers and have even tried using a flowbee that my former neighbor gave me.

This has now lead me into cutting my boys' hair. We usually use clippers with longer attachments for them so it's actually pretty easy...if they held still. When Salem was a toddler I put him on my lap and let him play a sesame street game on the computer while I cut his little hair. I stopped that after two times since I didn't want the hair mess on the computer. Now we do it in the kitchen or outside if it's warm weather.

Oaklen absolutely hates hair cuts, regardless if I use the clippers or the scissors. He screams bloody murder. A few months ago we cut it really short so we wouldn't have to cut it again for a while.

Oaklen's first haircut May 2007

Last night I cut Salem and Oaklen's hair. I had been meaning to do it for a week or two but I realized that I HAD to cut Salem's hair last night when I found a huge bald spot on the crown of his head! He has a habit of twirling his hair and he twirls it so much that his hair falls out. That's the reason we've kept it relatively short, but I always try to let it grow a little more each time to see if he'll stop the habit.

Salem's first haircut September 2004

While I was cutting Salem's hair last night, I discovered not only one bald spot but four! I felt so bad for him but it's his own fault. I'm sure others look at his hair with the bald spots and think "Geez, that kid got a really bad hair cut!" So, the next time you see Salem, remember that it's not a bad hair cut, I cut it as evenly as possible.

3 comments:

Christa said...

Just thinking about twisting my hair so hard and so much really makes my scalp hurt. Maybe you should threaten to shave him totally bald. It might scare him enough to break the habit.

The Gentry's said...

I cut Dwayne's and Dylon's hair too. Dylon has luckily been fairly good thus far, hopefully it will stay that way. Maybe I'll just always keep his hair short, then he'll never have a chance to twist it! Poor Salem, or should I say poor Salem's hair and scalp!

Malia said...

LOL - Scott had me learn to cut his hair, too. One time we had an absolute disaster and I tell him every time that he is welcome to have someone who can REALLY cut hair cut it...but it's a no go. I'm terrified to think of cutting a child's hair. Way to go!