Saturday, October 11, 2008

Zip-it

Have you heard of the Zip-it? I was introduced to this product a couple years ago, and now love it! I got it at WalMart for about $3 and it's a good preventative maintenance tool for clogged drains. You don't use harsh chemicals, it's just a jagged strip of plastic that you stick down in your drain and pull out all the yuck.

I clean our upstairs bathtub drain every few months with this. I like that it's cheap and really easy to use. This is not for those with a light stomach, some of the stuff that comes out is pretty gross, but I'd rather get it out than have it stay in the pipe!

Here's a demo of it:

5 comments:

The Van Horn's said...

Pulling gunk out of the drain does not mix well with me and pregnancy. You can also do equal parts of baking soda and vinegar, let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and then flush the drain with boiling water.

The Gentry's said...

Okay, so I've been needing to try something on our bathroom sinks, but I may just have everything come up knowing that it is mostly not my hair! I guess I'll just have to close my eyes!

Pam Smith said...

Can it be used more than once. I know...that sounds REALLY cheap!

Malia said...

That is nasty! I'm definitely getting that!

Heather said...

Vicki - I've heard of baking soda & vinegar but still have never done it. I think I'll do a combo, and use the zip-it, then the solution. I often pour my boiling water down my main floor bathroom drain since it's close to the kitchen.

Pam - Yes you can use the zip-it over and over again. The package says to dispose of it after one use but I just wipe it off with a paper towel and stick it back in the packaging and store for next time.